Thursday 24 October 2013

National Youth Ministry Convention - day 1

I'm sitting on the balcony of the apartment I am sharing and reflecting on the opening events of the National Youth Ministry Convention (NYMC). So far, not much has happened wiht the convention, but I feel like a lot has happened for me!
The next few days give me a great opportunity to sit with and connect with a number of people who are not only involved in youth ministry, but also those who are well experienced in youth ministry. 
I am staying with a group from the Christian Reformed Church of Australa (CRCA), and yesterday I was very pleased to be with someone who had been here before, because I had no idea where we were going when it was time to register. Once we had that sorted out, there was a couple of hours to rest before dinner. The group from CRCA take it in turns to cook for each other, so we crammed into one of the apartments for a Nacho meal - which was very good. I'm not too sure what our group will do when it's our turn to cook though. I'll let you know how that goes after Friday night. 
Our first session began at 8.00pm with Joel McKerrow doing some of his poetry. There is something incredibly powerful about the spoken word, and the imagery that Joel was able to create, and the powerful way he did this was fantastic! 
Then some songs, some introductions, and then a message from Phil Cann. There were some powerful moments in this message about Moses and where he met God and how he served God where he was. Some quotes / thoughts that stood out for me:
Moses turned to this bush because it was different to all the other bushes.
Stop praying for your thousands and focus on the one that comes across your path.
Today we have a number of workshop electives to attend. They all look good, but I can only get to a few. I'll let you know some of what I learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment